Join us – Conference and events organiser
A new role in the Hinxton Hall Conference Centre team.
Salary: £27,536 – £33,330
Full-time, permanent contract
Closing date: Friday 10 June, but applications reviewed on a continuous basis
About the role:
Hinxton Hall Conference Centre is part of Wellcome Connecting Science, supporting our core programme goals around learning, training, and engagement with genomics. You will be part of a small and effective Events Team in the Conference Centre, responsible for managing an end-to-end experience for a variety of event bookers, from members of our own programme, to Wellcome Genome Campus colleagues, and fully external organisations.
You will manage all communication from initial enquiries to event delivery, ensuring that event details are gathered and shared with relevant team and contractor colleagues, and all services delivered to the expected standard. You will also ensure that post-event feedback is shared with the team and actioned where appropriate.
You will take a structured approach to using relevant systems, tools and databases to capture event information, and manage changes and related actions such as invoicing, across multiple events.
You will use your experience as an events professional to identify areas where the Conference Centre could ‘add value’ to events with additional services (such as hybrid or event management options) and adopt a flexible approach to managing different event booker and delegate requests and requirements.
As part of an enthusiastic team you will work closely with colleagues to fully understand our programme and specifically the Conference Centre offer. You will have opportunities to contribute to broader activities such as marketing, as well as being part of the Wellcome Connecting Science programme.
About the team:
Hinxton Hall Conference Centre boasts world-class event and meeting spaces designed for knowledge sharing in the scientific research community. It combines stunning contemporary architecture with the Grade II* listed Hinxton Hall, offering flexible meeting rooms for up to 300 people, as well as accommodation and catering, all set in the tranquil grounds of the Wellcome Genome Campus. Hinxton Hall Conference Centre is part of Wellcome Connecting Science. We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces for learning, training and engagement with genomics. The Conference Centre supports Connecting Science’s mission by providing the venue for our in-person learning and training activities, as well as being available for corporate hire by external bookers.
- Educated to degree level or able to demonstrate extensive event organising experience
- Demonstrable experience of scientific administration or working with academic researchers or commercial organisations organising workshops, conferences, or other events
- Excellent communication, written and oral; networking and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop good working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Methodical and well-organised approach to work
- Highly organised in administrative functions, with close attention to detail and accuracy
- Multi-tasking skills
- Self-motivated and responsible
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet agreed deadlines
- Must be able to work as part of a team within a defined organisational structure
- Must be able to work flexible hours using a hybrid working approach
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications (especially Excel and Word)
- Knowledge and previous application of Kinetics is desirable
- Knowledge and previous experience working on Engage, or a similar event management system is desirable
How to apply:
To view the full role description and apply, please visit the Wellcome Sanger Institute recruitment page.
Please include a CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role with your application.
Closing date for applications: Friday 10 June 2022, however we will review applications and interview candidates sooner if they meet the criteria.
Find out more: hinxtonhall.org
About Connecting Science
Wellcome Connecting Science’s mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
Drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Wellcome Genome Campus, Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning, and measures and understands global attitudes and perspectives.
We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces to explore genomic science and its relationship with people and the world around us.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children
- and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.